CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Love that Woman!

How do you say how thankful you are that a woman who has shaped you in every way was born on this ninth day of November? She has carefully guided me into womanhood without hindering how God made me deep within.  My mom has been an amazing role model in my life and grown into one of my best friends.

I think what I am most thankful for is her example in loving Jesus and having a relationship that is beyond church and deeper than religion.  She never pushed me to believe what she did.  Rather she set before me an example of what it looks like to have a relationship with God.  Not a perfect one.  Not one without difficulties, struggles, doubt or wonder.  But a real relationship that begins to build on trust, faith, understanding and ultimately peace.  I haven't always been close to God.  Our relationship seems to be much like a roller coaster- sometimes I grip on tight as we plunge into the depths and sometimes I just let go.  Thankfully He is my safety bar, holding onto me even though I foolishly separate myself from Him.  If it weren't for my parents setting the foundation I don't know how I would find strength, freedom and joy when times are hard.  And when times are good I don't know that I would fully understand the greatness and the blessing.

She has also taught me how to be loving all the while being strong.  I know that I don't do it as gracefully as she, but I am learning.  Many of you may not realize how strong my mother's beliefs are.  That's the inside scoop that I get.  Her job calls her to be non-partial and frankly she does it better than almost any person in the news I have seen.  But the truth of the matter is she is strong and she has no fear to stand up for what she believes.  I think there is a misperception out there that if you are passionate about your beliefs that in order to voice them and get your point across you have to be rude, nasty and a bit cocky.  I thankfully, have not seen this in my mom.  She has no problem stating her ground with someone who disagrees and she won't be intimidated by them, but she has a way of doing it in a very powerful way because she leaves no room for smug remarks by her opposer.

And finally, I have learned how to love.  I now have the privilege of understand what my mom meant when she would say, "You have no idea how much I love you."  She showed me how to love and care for children.  She wasn't always perfect, but neither was I.  Growing up, she chose to be a great parent and lead me rather than be my best friend. I didn't always "like" her because she set me straight and let's be honest none of us enjoy being set straight.  This has helped me so much as my adorable toddler with the big brown eyes and criminal bottom lip looks at me with that look, you know that look, hoping to escape punishment after doing something he knows is a "no, no"just to turn around and do it again.  I am reminded that I am here to guide and lead my son into becoming a great young man...not to be his best friend.

Oh mom, I sure do love you!  You are such an incredible woman and my boys are lucky to have a Noma like you! Happy Birthday.  I pray God sends you lots of wonderful blessings today.  They may not be in the form of material things, but rather in joy and peace.  I know that is what your heart longs for most.

No comments:

Post a Comment