CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Tips for those adopting out of state

While I had it on my mind I wanted to offer some tips to anyone who might end up adopting out of state.  There are so many tips for mothers bringing a baby home from the hospital, but I found it hard to figure out what to take while traveling and possibly staying in a hotel for 2 weeks. 

Here are some great things to take with you:
Madella Sanitizing bags - all you have to do is add water, add bottles/Binky's and zap in the microwave for 5 min.  Great way to keep things clean without a dishwasher!
Summer Swaddle Me blankets - Ryker loved these!  It helped him feel so secure and it was the only way he could sleep at night.  This was a neat way to imitate what he felt in the womb as I held him. 
Soft Washcloths-  We used these as burp rags as well as to give him a sponge bath.  We brought 10 of them and had to wash them half way through the trip there. 
Moby Wrap-  LOVE THIS!  We did some sight seeing and this was a great way to carry little man around without feeling tired.  It also kept strangers from coming up at touching him, or getting to close to him.  Not to mention the special feeling of him all snuggled up in my chest!  BEAUTIFUL!
Small notebook & folder- We used a notebook to keep track of his eating and diaper changing schedule, which you will need for the pediatrician.  We used the folder to keep all the medical and adoption records in, so they wouldn't get lost. 
3oz formula bottles-  We use Gerber Good Start formula and they carry 3oz glass bottles, which were awesome for when we were out and about and were perfect for traveling on the plane.  We were able to take them on our carry on bag and since they are sealed they don't have to be refrigerated. 

Last of all don't forget to bring a journal, or something to keep track of all those special moments you'll spend with your new little one.  There are so many emotions that ran through me and the time flew by.  I felt like I was living a dream and I'm so thankful I wrote things down otherwise I might have forgotten what day I was peed on for the first time :-)  Or when he spit up all down my back for the first time :-)  Or my favorite....when he turned toward my face when I spoke to him, looked up at me and grinned for the first time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment